Building Owner – What do I do now?

If you are planning works that may fall under the Party Wall etc Act 1996 the first thing you need to do is serve Notice on all parties that may be affected, e.g. neighbours, leaseholders, freeholders.

For works to a party wall you are required to give 2 months Notice before those works commence. For foundation or excavation works 1 months Notice is required.

Obviously serving Notice yourself is the first way to save money but please be aware that if the Notices are incorrect in any way and a dispute arises they may be deemed invalid and a new Notice will have to be served.

If you would like any further advice on Notices or would like Party Walls Limited to serve Notice on your behalf, please contact us.


As the Building Owner, the first thing we advise all our clients to do is to talk to their neighbours, especially if you have a good relationship with them. We appreciate that it is a sad fact that not everyone gets on with their neighbours, but an initial visit or informal chat is always the best way to start proceedings.

Any works to your property can be disruptive to your neighbours, albeit unintentional. Taking around a copy of your plans and discussing your proposals with neighbours before serving the required Notice can make everyone feel happier.

From our experience we find that this simple act of neighbourliness can assist in you and your neighbour agreeing on matters swiftly without either party spending a small fortune.

If your neighbour chooses to appoint their own independent Surveyor please bear in mind that this is rarely a vindictive act to cost you additional fees but is just their right under the Party Wall etc Act 1996.

Contact us on 0208 877 0365.